Re: [TCML] bipolar coil

Good post, D.C. Just to clarify:

In a message dated 5/2/08 7:50:44 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>then,  Z = 1/ 2 x 3.14 x F = 1/377 x C

Better written as:

    Z = 1 / (2 * pi * Frequency *  Capacitance)

>so, C = 1/377 x Z

For 60 Hz, C = 377 * Z

>In your case, 2.6 x .0442 uF = .015 uF

    Actually,  2.6 * .0442 uF = .115 uF,   which is the original value JavaTC
gave Kris.

>2 x .0442, so best value is .0884 uF at 32 kV DC  (16 MMC  caps in series on

>each string)

Keep in mind D.C. builds coils professionally, so  he specs his MMCs
conservatively. You won't go wrong with his suggestion,  but you can go cheaper (fewer
MMC caps) if you're willing to settle  for less total run-time life. Some
would say you could happily make do with  strings of 10 caps in series with a 9kV
NST. Many of us only run our  coils for a few minutes at a time every once in
a while, from one experiment  to the next. But if you frequently run it
non-stop for hours at a time, then  you should spend the extra money.

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

favorites at AOL Food.