Re: [TCML] bipolar coil

Bart,

I took those issues you mention into consideration.  Twin coils
give spark lengths that are 1.4 times longer than regular coils
for a given input power.  If I used my formulas without  accounting
for it being a small coil, then the figures would have been 40" for
the 9/30 and 56" for the 9/60.  I reduced this to 35" and 49"  respectively
since it's a smaller coil.  Possible it should be reduced a little  more to
32" and 45".  But in any case it should do better than the
figures you mentioned.  Just my opinion.

Cheers,
John

In a message dated 5/2/2008 10:20:01 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Hi  John,

>Your spark lengths are good for say 3" or larger diameter  coils, but
>this coil will suffer. It's simply small and that is a big  problem with
>spark lengths. It seems there is a point (and I would put  that point
>value starting below 3") where spark length decreases for  the same power
>input. I agree that a 9/30 would be fine for this coil.  But spark
>lengths will likely be well below 35". More like 20" to 25"  at best. I
>"suspect" energy storage capacity is partially why (there  are limits,
>and h/d & size literally strangle the output). That's  my message.
>Granted a couple coilers have made small coils work ok,  but still, the
>majority of small coil performance I've seen says  "build a bigger coil".
>
>Just my  opinion.
>Bart

>> Deano,
>>
>>  That's a good point.  Even a 9x30 should give 35"   sparks
>> between the two toroids.  A 9x60 should give almost  49"  sparks
>> between toroids.  I accounted for the low  voltage and thin  wire,
>> and possible few primary turns.   Otherwise the sparks would
>> be even longer.
>>
>> John
.>

favorites at AOL Food.