Re: [TCML] How to use an arc welder as a ballast?

The arc welder 240vac line goes in series with the pig 240vac line.  In other words, the wall current must flow from the wall plug, through the arc welder, through the piggie, then back to the wall plug.  It doesn't matter if the pig comes first or the welder comes first, since current is common in a series circuit. This circuit can be built without modification to the welder cord if you are willing to wire up a 240vac male/female pigtail.

The pigtail should be made of flexible, rubber or vinyl insulated, stranded copper cable of no less than 8AWG.  It must be fitted with a male connector for the wall plug, and female connectors for the arc welder and piggie.  The male connector can be wired the usual way.  The two female connectors must each send one hot lead to the male connector, and share one hot lead between them.  This will establish the required series connection between the welder and pig.

Leave the arc welder low voltage leads open-circuit for low powered operation.  On my setup this yielded about 7-8A, which was just right for initial tune-up.  Shorting the welding leads together gave me a range of roughly 28-48A, depending on where I set the current control.

Cheers,

Greg