Re: [TCML] New Double Toroid - Magnifier hype

Agree entirely about magnifiers with tertiary coil vs spark length as being meaningless. I go further to say that when you compare total coil height of secondary and tertiary, the spark to coil length shows no advantage over a conventional coil and is typically 3:1 on a good coil. As I recall when I did this calc before with Hull's coils, it was no better performing than his conventional coil like his Nemesis.
Peter

----- Original Message ----- From: <FutureT@xxxxxxx>

As an aside here....
Folks used to talk about getting sparks that are 10 times as long as
the extra coil in a magnifier, etc. By putting a tiny one turn coil (extra
coil)
below the final toroid, you will have created a "magnifier" of sorts (ho ho),
and if the extra coil is 1/8" long, then you can get sparks that  are ~150
times longer
than the extra coil, etc.  You can see why I never thought much of  that
method of judging a magnifier's performance.  But as a fun thing  it would
let you claim the record for a magnifier's performance based on that metric
anyhow.

Cheers,
John