Re: [TCML] Brand new 34.5kV 10kVA pig for $300 in PA

Aaron,

If you look at the core and coil weights, it's pretty
clear that much of the 700 lbs is in the oil volume. This, I'm assuming, is because a 34.5kV pig requires a
lot more clearance between things inside the can.

My 150 kVp, .6 amp x-ray tranformer that I drive that
big Jacob's ladder with only weighs in the est. 500 to 600
lbs. range (my scales only go to 350 lbs.). I noticed that
just the dry core/coil assembly of the said pig weighs
299 lbs. according to the nomenclature tag. That's
still a bit more than the average 250 to 275 lbs. for
an average 10 kVA - core/coil assembly, tank, oil and all!

My local utility, who has sold me pigs in the past,
runs a rather odd 14760/25565Y system.  On one trip, I
saw a brand new 27kV delta pig (double-bushing, and
presumably with taps for 25565) sitting there, and
recalled it being much larger than expected for the
kVA's.  Unfortunately, they didn't have anything used
at that voltage, or I'd have been real tempted!

My local utility uses 2 primary line voltages - 7200/12470
and 13200/23000 volts. It depends on what part of town
that you're in as to what the primary line voltage will be
at your local pole pig ;^) I wish I could get pigs that easily from my local utility company. They have hteir own trans- former repair shop, so by the time they're ready to retire a pole pig, it's pretty well shot.
I'm not sure about running a TC at 34.5kV.  Not a
small one, anyway!  I'll probably be looking for
something else to do with it.

Scot (aka bunnykiller) runs his coil on 2 seriesed 14.4 kV pigs, although he states that live component standoff starts becoming quite dicy at 30 kV. On the upside, you can cut the primary C by a factor of 4 if you double the voltage and keep the same joules/bang energy. It would
probably make a nice JL, though ;^))

Nice JL!!

I recently ditched a pig as well, but now I'm going
through withdrawals :-)  My large PT collection just
wasn't enough to sustain me, I guess!

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE

Spark on,