Re: [TCML] Variac proximity

In a message dated 5/15/08 9:13:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pstrauss1947@xxxxxxxxx writes:

>I'm constructing a compact control cabinet for a large SRSG coil up  to 10
Kw.  The cabinet would
>contain two variacs, a main 25 nominal amp unit and within two or  three
inches of it a smaller unit to
>phase the SRSG (John Freau's system). Is there any likelihood of  negative
interaction due to the
>proximity of the two variacs.

I've got four variacs, each 0-140 Volt, ~20+ amps,  all ganged on one common
shaft, really crammed together in one side of a small  cabinet. The
installation simply couldn't be any more surrounded by cabinet  metal than it is now. It
was a real challenge to get them all assembled, phased  and "synched", then
installed vertically. But they work fine and don't get  hot.
    I'd be more worried about the proximity of metallic  objects to the
magnetic gap of a ballast choke, if you're using such.

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

favorites at AOL Food.