RE: [TCML] Capacitor choice and voltage question

Hi Scott,

I'm glad you asked.

The capacitor you proposed is the CD 940 family.  For a low powered coil this may do, but in the application with your NST, this family is a poor choice.  The gold standard for TC caps is the CD 942 family.  But unfortunately I don't think that Digikey doesn't sell them.  Dr Resonance does, Richardson Electronics (rell.com) does, several ebay vendors do.

The total capacitance you proposed, .013uF, is also much too low for a 120BPS sync RSG.  Using too low a capacitance would result in cap (and NST) voltages far in excess of 21kV.  With 60 Hz power, a value of .028uF is often suggested.  I also use a 120BPS RSG with a 15/60, and have found that a cap size of .04uF worked best, though this appears to be unusual.

I would plan on sizing the total cap voltage rating AT LEAST 25-30kV.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA