Re: [TCML] STUPID QUESTION OF THE DAY

If it does have the diode internally, then that could be causing the short if it died.
Bart

David Speck wrote:
Ed,

I have seen MWO caps that had an internal bleeder resistor between the two top terminals, and a very few that had the HV diode inside the can, with one end connected between the case and one terminal as well. A low DC resistance between the two top terminals is not a good sign. The bleeder wouldn't cause any great problem in this app, but if the diode to case had the wrong polarity for the application, it might create confusing results.

Dave

Ed Phillips wrote:
I sent my only MO capacitor to a friend and he reports it shorted. Stupid question: Are the connections between the two terminals on the top or between either of those and the case? He tried the terminals on the top. This was a pull from a working oven so the short seems surprising but who knows? I'd just stuck the thing in a box and never checked it.

Thanks,

Ed