Re: [TCML] winding direction

Yes Gary,

Your absolute right. BTW, I'm the guy (I think) referred to that wrote up the NST winding direction thing. It was something I did during my depotting episode. Luckily, I was smart enough to measure output voltage on the bench prior to potting. In the end, I learned to simply label the winding direction on the core prior to taking it off and repairing. It's easy to not realize this, but the learning curve is well worth it in my opinion.

Take care,
Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
Whether the core is air or iron is irrelevant.  The pertinent thing is that with the NST, there were two halves to the secondary which are wired in series.  If one half is wound in the opposite sense to the other, the net result is that they cancel rather than add.  With a Tesla coil, there is (usually) only one secondary, and its phase relative to the primary doesn't matter at all.

Gary Lau
MA, USA