Re: [TCML] PFC Question (again)

In a message dated 5/26/2008 3:17:15 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>> Anyway, I think there may be more folks running resonant or  LTR with
their
>> pigs or PTs than are aware. Just a guess.
>>
>I don't think so. Costs and energy  across the gap are the reasons. I
>think most are STR. Some might try  LTR, but were talking huge cap sizes
>and severe bang sizes across the  gap. Highly unlikely and very expensive
>in both cap and gap  costs.

Bart, Deano,

PT powered systems run very nicely at 120 bps with resonant or  slightly
LTR cap values.  They  give an excellent power factor.  I think Kevin
Eldredge's Biggg Coil is  running resonant or LTR also, using dual pig power
and giving 24 foot sparks at 120 bps  sync.  No PFC is needed for such
systems.  Usually running somewhat LTR gives smoother  running than
resonant as explained in Morecroft's book of 1924, "Principles of Radio
Communications", (yes, LTR concepts are not new).

Cheers,
John

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.