Re: [TCML] PFC Question (again)

In a message dated 5/26/2008 5:06:42 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>Hi  John,

>I agree. I see PIG's as mostly STR on average and PT''s  somewhere in the
>middle. They could all do well to run LTR, but I  simply doubt that is
>the norm.

>As far as this subject line,  I don't know if PFC will help. Too many
>variables.

>Take  care,
>Bart

Hi Bart,

I did some power factor tests back when, but I forget all the  results.   All
I remember for sure is that the power factor for PT's running resonant  or
near resonant at 120 bps was excellent.  I remember reading an  article
in TCBA News about some guys that built larger coil running with a
async rotary, and they mentioned that the power factor was not very  good.
They were probably running STR, and they expressed the desirability  of
adding some power factor correction, however they didn't attempt to do  this.
In any case it would be easy to do some PFC tests by trying various
cap values to see if it reduces the apparent power draw for STR  systems.
I'm surprised coilers haven't done more tests in that area.

Cheers,
John

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.