Re: [TCML] Climbing Arcs

Hi Tony,

1/4" tubing will work much better than 3/4", but not as well as 1/8" rod.  As
Dr. R pointed out, the larger the diameter, the more the conductive cooling,
and the increased ROC makes initial striking harder. I have found that tubing
 and wire give a more erratic movement to the arc than rods, because of the
many  tiny bends that still exist in a "straightened" piece of wire or tubing.
If your  tubing was manufactured straight rather than uncoiled and
straightened at home,  this of course, won't be a factor. On the other hand, some folks
may like the  aesthetics of minor irregularities.

Matt D.

In a message dated 5/27/08 11:10:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,