Re: [TCML] Q

bartb wrote:

I tried using the existing objects to accomplish this but I was never satisfied with the results. For example, half a streamer on both sides of a toroid is "not' linear to a single streamer on one side. Once I realized this, I knew I needed Paul Nicholson. I wrote an email to Paul for the implementation of this into Geotc, but at the time he wasn't getting my emails (lost in cyberspace I think). Paul also hates JavaScript more than I do (no, I don't think so!), so likely this can't be done unless I can figure a method to use existing objects. I have only at my disposal toroids, spheres, cylinders, and discs. All of these I can configure into a "rod" shape, however, they all implement out on both sides from the center of the coil and that is my problem. I couldn't find my happy spot and eventually got busy with other things never to resolve this situation. I still long to do it.

The only element that can be configured as a rod is a vertical thin cylinder. What looks as rods to both sides is actually a disk. A true 3D simulator can be written, but it would take much longer to do the calculations. I would never try to tune a coil by adjusting separately the resonance frequencies of both coils. What I do is to apply a low-impedance (<1 Ohm) low-frequency (1 kHz) square wave across the spark gap and observe the transients across the primary coil in an oscilloscope at the transitions. I then adjust the system to obtain complete notches, what indicates that complete energy transfer is occurring. This method gives complete information about what is happening with the whole system.
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/tuner.gif
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/tesla/mid_comp.jpg (simulation x oscilloscope)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz