From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz
Sent: 30 May 2008 20:30
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Q

DC Cox wrote:
> Antonio:
>
> What is the part number for the transistor you used with the 555 circuit?
> Is this a pair of transistors or a single xsistor in a Darlington
> configuration?
>
> Dr. Resonance

The transistors are small BC337 and BC327 transistors. For my coils, the
primary current with 9 V excitation is in the tens of mA, so any
transistor is enough. For coils with lower impedance primaries, heavier
transistors may be needed, or MOSFETs. A more complicated buffer, with
feedback to lower the impedance, may be used too.
It's interesting to tune a coil with this system. You see immediately
what is the effect of changing the coupling, the load capacitance (move
your hand close to the terminal or the secondary coil), etc.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz