RE: [TCML] Diesel for transformer oil?

you don't know what additives are in Diesel - personally I'd be pretty reluctant - you may find that if you buy a drum or half drum of hte oil your cost is dramatically lower.  And you might find that a local Xray repair place or some other place that uses oil could sell you used oil or let you drain the oil that they would otherwise have to pay a disposal fee on.> From: drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:52:08 -0600> CC: > Subject: [TCML] Diesel for transformer oil?> > Hi all,> > I have recently removed some bad oil from my> x-ray transformer due to some internal arcing > that had been occuring. The oil was nearly > black with suspended carbon paritcles (not> good). The tank holds a whopping 25 gallons> and a quick call to my local oil jobber revealed> that the recent lower spot market cost oil crude> had obviously NOT yet trickeld down to the > transformer oil customer, as the price quote > for a Shell DialaX transformer oil was $10.01/gal!> Partial fill-up is not an option for x-ray transfor-> mers as they run a very high voltage/volume > ratio that is entirely dependant upon proper oil> filling to be functional at anything near their > rated voltage. This got me to thinking about> stories of scrap metal dealers running their > diesle trucks on the oil of reclaimed transformers> and wondering if diesel fuel could also possi-> bly be used for a suitable dielectric oil for > filling transformers. Diesel has an oily consis-> tancy and can now be purchased for less than> $4/gallon. I know properly rated transformer oil> is the BEST but I just can't see dropping >$250> to repair a transformer that I only paid $50 for> when I bought it! How much does mineral oil> laxitive at the farm coops generally go for per> gallon? Any suggestions?> > David Rieben> > PS - Too bad that I couldn't have filtered the > contaminated oil to reuse.> _______________________________________________> Tesla mailing list> Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.pupman.com/mailman/listinfo/tesla_______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx