Re: [TCML] Self ballasting transformers

hello again,

>Are you talking about "wall warts"? What makes you think these things had current limiting? I've never seen one with current limiting and the
>power rating is just that - the maximum output without overheating. That in no way means you can't draw more power. Most of these
>transformers are really crappy and cheap with higher winding resistance than one might want for best efficiency.
>
>Ed

So why don't wall warts draw huge amounts of power from the wall when shorted? One of these transformers measured 192 ohms across the
primary, so if it was shorted it would draw nearly 300w from the 240v mains so should go up in smoke very quickly but for some reason it
doesn't. It all seems like a very inefficient way to design a transformer...  Another question though, by how much does the primary's inductance
drop when a non-shunted transformer's secondry is shorted? does the core effectively "disappear" to some extent?
thanks

ben