Re: [TCML] rotary gap disk

Hi Jay,

You definitely do NOT want to use acrylic (plexiglas).
Plexiglas gets quite brittle from machining and has rela-
tively little impact or thermal resistance. An RSG fabri-
cated from plexiglas would likely fly apart pretty quickly!

Polycarbonate (lexan) is somewhat better due to its high
impact resistance, but still has a relatively low melting point
that could allow it to soften enough from exposure to the
heat developed in the flying electrodes to allow them to
be slung out due to the developed centrifugal force of
high speed rotation.

Garolite (such as G-10 or G-11) is the choice material
for rotary disc due to its high impact resistance as well
as its high temperature & electrical resistance. Garolite
(especially G-11, the highest grade) is considerably more
costly than plexiglas or lexan, but will hold up much better.
Most coilers opt for the G-10, as it's still rather costly,
though less so than G-11, but still has very good thermal
and electrical resistance, as well as impact resistance.
You can purchase sheets of it from McMaster-Carr's
website.

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: <jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx>