Re: [TCML] SISG PSU problem

Hi Bart,

> As far as "protection", the answer is to prevent resonant voltages
> from damaging components. So run it in LTR fashion or similar to
> prevent transformer resonance.
- If the system is built to Terrys specs - and mine is - resonant
rise is a precondition for correct operation.

>  I'm also running a pig for the transformer, so I probably wouldn't
> have realized it even "if" I had copied Terry's Piranha II design.
 - IMO resonant rise is not a special issue for MOTs but for other
trannies as well. Unfortunately I can't select the inductance of the
secondary winding of the MOT. I have to accept it as it is. Have you
calculated the resonant frequency of your pig/primary cap combination
already?

> tranny that died: Have you looked at the specs to see if it was in
> transformer resonance?
- As usual: No specs, as it was salvaged from dump. Unfortunately I
had not measured its secondary inductance before.

> Given Terry's information about Piranha II, do you plan to do anything
> different?
- I would like to avoid resonant rise in order to protect the MOT but
at this moment I do not know how it could be done.

Bye		Herwig