Re: [TCML] rotary gap disk

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 14:34, Jeff W. Parisse <workshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Phillip,
>
> The gap spacing on our SG10-TC is amazingly small; business card width or
> less (our techs use automotive feeler gauges to set the spacing, I don't
> know the actual number but it is wicked tight).

What I meant is that I think the flying electrodes were too close together
on the disc.  My design had all the flying electrodes connected together by
a ring, and the two stationary electrodes were in front of the disc 180
degrees apart.  The flying electrodes were about 1.25" apart center to
center.

> Given that, I believe it is/was the brass vaporizing causing holdover that
> is the main issue with homemade gaps of this type. Suggesting to Jay that he
> spin faster may be a bad suggestion given the squared increase in potential
> energy he must now deal with safely.

Indeed, I ran the gap without a capacitor and there was a green glow where
the arc started at the electrodes.  The plasma plume stretched about a
quarter of the way around the disc.  The vaporization of the brass coupled
with the insufficient spacing between flying electrodes led to very poor
performance from the gap.