Re: [TCML] Spark Gap Motor and Control

I want to glom on here.  I built an ARSG around a woodworking router.  It was a very compact 1HP unit by Black & Decker.  I picked it up at a yard sale for next to nothing.  It had only a 1/4" chuck.  I used a 1/4" machine bolt for the shaft.  I cut the head off the bolt.  The smooth shank of the bolt went into the chuck.  The threaded end took the disk.

The disk was unique too.  I rescued some sheets of unclad G-10 circuit board stock from the dumpster at work.  They were only 1/16" thick, so I cut out four 6" disks and sandwiched them together, taking care to orient the grain in different directions.  I'm no machinist, so I drew circles on the G-10 using a compass and cut them out with a jigsaw.  I made reasonably true center and electrode holes with a drill press.  To keep it simple, I used only two flying electrodes.

The electrodes were 1/4" threaded brass rod and hex nuts.  I used a 1" gap in my vice to file the electrodes to exactly the same length, then balanced the electrode & hex nut assemblies using a sensitive ammo reloading scale.  Finally, I chucked the disk into a hand drill and held a file against the edge of the spinning disk to true it up.  This was not as much trouble as it sounds.  I put the thing together in a couple of afternoons after work.

Despite the crudeness of my methods, vibration was negligible.  A few dabs of lok-tite kept everything well--tight.  This was a very effective ARSG for my MOT & pig-based coils at moderate AC input power.  Speed control was effortless using a regular 600W lamp dimmer.  Even at full blast, the disk never showed any signs of stress.  I figured the soft brass electrodes would quickly burn away.  Not true.  I never had to replace them.  Erosion was slow and predictable.  An occasional lick with a fine file was all they needed for maintenance.

A few years back I removed the G-10 disk to experiment with an Aluminum disk.  The Aluminum disk didn't work out, and I misplaced the G-10 disk!  Rats!  Adding insult to injury, Katrina soaked the router in flood water.  Double rats!  Incredibly, the router still works.  I cleaned it up, dried it out for a couple of weeks, and it runs like a champ.  I guess "universal" hand tool motors are really tough.  I still have enough PCB scraps to make a new disk.  Maybe I'll reconstitute this gap someday.

Cheers,

Greg