RE: [TCML] 100kVA trannies as salvage?

There isnt as much copper as one would think.  The low side windings are almost always aluminum sheet.  The only copper is the high side winding and it is thin usually 20-22 gauge.  Im sure it would be a little larger for a 100 kva unit but not 350lbs.  Not even close.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Forcina <forcijo10@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 9:20 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] 100kVA trannies as salvage?

I have a friend who has a 50kva 7200v pig and it weighs 629lbs.  Those
100kva units must weigh at least 1000lbs.  If you want a general breakup on
how much copper is in them, this is my best guess.  Total weight,
1000lbs-oil=900lbs-can=750lbs-core=350lbs.  You have roughly 350lbs of
copper in there.  If copper sells for $1.50/lb the you come up with a
whopping $525 in copper.  I would still try to get it for $50 because there
is always the chance that they will say yes.   Good luck.