Re: [TCML] Choosing a Cap Size

At around 4-6 kVA a .06 uF (60 nF) cap will work well.  This will give you
solid 5-6 ft long sparks. At this power level a pair of hyperbaric gaps in
series will give you good
performance.  Contact me off list and I will forward the design sketch to
you.

I use a 100 nF value at 14 kVA for a 15 ft long spark.  Above 6 kVA the
non-synchro RSG is the way to go.  I can also send you photos of this setup.
I've found a 1725 rpm 1/2 hp motor, using pulleys, gearing the RSG (in
pillow blocks) to run at 2500 rpm, and producing around 400 PPS with a 10
electrode, 13 inch dia. rotor, is the way to go for long, thick sparks.

Dr. Resonance