Re: [TCML] Variac

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lau, Gary"
My NST routinely pulls ~20 Amps from my 15 Amp Variac, and never breaks a sweat. Of course it doesn't run for more than a > minute or so before I stop and tweak something.

I'm not surprised. A good variac can handle a lot more than that, depending upon overload and duration.

As a matter of fact, Superior (took over GE Volt-Pac line) variacs publish a chart which gives the exact rating for such an occurrence, which can be seen on page three, on curve three, of the following publication:

http://www.superiorelectric.com/volt-pac/voltpac_catalog.pdf

Mind you, I can't speak to the "quality" of the cheap Chinese variacs avaiable these days.

Jon