[TCML] New Torroid

Hello coilers,

I've been tweaking on my bombarder powered, static  vacuum aspirated gap, 8"
x 33" coil, and I just replaced the smaller torroid  stack with a much larger
8" aluminum flex duct torroid measuring 42" in major  diameter. I also went
from 27nF to 40nF and moved the primary tap in a round or  two, and upped the
input power to 200-300mA or so. Initial tests were very  successful once the
correct height above the last winding was found, but because  of the longer arcs
there was more of a tendency for primary strikes. Raising the  torroid helps,
but field control goes out the window and it wants to break out  at the top
winding. But when it's dialed in, arc length went from about 6  feet to around
8' or 9'. Still, too many primary strikes for comfort.

I've heard that by placing a small torroid or corona ring at the top  winding
will suppress breakout there so that the main torroid can be elevated  high
enough away from the primary to reduce strikes. Would one of my  smaller 3" or
4"  torroids help with field control at the top winding,  allowing the big one
to be elevated a foot or more above that?

Also, the new torroid is supported by an "X" shaped support of 1" strap
steel on edge, centered inside the torroid. Would it add significantly to the
capacitance to fill in the center with a 26" round piece of sheet metal?  The
coil has no problem breaking out now, so a bit more 'C' might help even  more.

Thanks,

Tony Greer