Re: [TCML] High Power Static Gaps

Thanks Jim, that gets me to wondering, if at some point, pressure  might work
better than vacuum?

Are there any more considerations than just overheating of the electrodes?  I
know that proper quenching is the real goal and keeping the electrode
temperature as low as possible is essential for that, but could a single static  gap
quench at multi-kilowatt power levels if kept cool enough?

Which brings to mind this question: Is there anything like a tungsten flat
washer available anywhere? If so, how about brazing one on to the face of each
copper cap electrode?

Tony Greer
*************

Sfxneon@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi  All,
>
> I'm curious about the spark lengths achieved by  others using a single
static
> vacuum aspirated gap, (I believe the  one designed by Gary Lau if memory
> serves)? It uses a vacuum  cleaner motor, PVC pipe and two large copper
tubing  end
> caps with  holes in the middle for the electrodes.
>
> What are the  limiting factors with this type of gap? Can it be scaled up
for
>  higher power? It's a beautifully simple and elegant design, without the
need
> for any close tolerance machine work like with rotaries, and  it's much
safer
> too.

In a message dated  9/7/2008 12:04:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,