[TCML] On scaling up Tesla coils

Hi,

It's been an interesting few months working with our 12kv/30ma NST coil -
thanks for all the help on the list getting it to work.
Now it's time to consider scaling things up, I've got some questions for
the experienced coilers on the list.

It seems that current increase is the upgrade path to yield longer arcs.
Nearly all the transformers we've seen top out at 15Kv output. Is this the
main advantage to a pole pig - that (depending on the ballast) it can
handle much more current?

Looking into building bigger coils, it seems that the basic size and shape
of the secondary remains (roughly) the same - with 800-1000 turns of
suitably gauged wire. There is a change in aspect ratio as the diameter
increases, but not a huge change.

At the moment we're comfortable with NSTs - what is the limit on how many
of these you can combine in parallel? We would like to go from 30ma to
60ma, and adding another 30ma NST is the cheapest route. I think I've seen
a coil with 3 NSTs on youtube somewhere, but not more than that.

Thanks,
Steve