Re: [TCML] pole pig protection

In a message dated 9/10/08 8:04:11 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx writes:

>    A common example of this is the failure of AC   industrial motors when
run

>from inverters. Insulation stress from dV/dt is  highest at  the first few

>turns of the windings, and this is where the motors   characteristically
fail.

    I'd like to add that a common solution, or at least  good engineering
practice, is to install a "load reactor" between the inverter  and the motor.
Again, just a choke, but it mitigates dV/dt stress and does a  number of other
handy protective functions as well. And a lot cheaper and easier  to replace
than a motor...

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities