[TCML] VTTC Poor Performance.

I recently built a 833C VTTC.  I've been toying around with the coil and
made little changes here and there which made minor improvements to the
performance.  The coil is pretty close to being in tune I believe.  Even
with the coil in tune I only get 18" streamers.  I'm beginning to think that
the MOTs I'm using may be to blame.  I have a 30A panel meter hooked up to
measure total system current.  At about 70V or so I reach 20A current draw.
If I push the variac further I hit 100V and never seem to get above that.
The VTTC causes a volt drop which pulls down the filament voltage.  Lately,
I've been running the filament transformer off a seperate line.  The system
current still soars off the meter when I try to run the coil at full
voltage.

I have two very large MOTs that came from older microwaves.  I wired the
MOTs in series for 8kV after the voltage doubler.  I have not removed the
shunts from the transformers.

Would removing the shunts from the transformers help in my situation?  Does
the presence of the shunts cause the transformer to saturate any faster than
it would otherwise?

My system is almost exactly like the single 833A coil on Steve Ward's site.
The major differences being that I have a 9x3 topload, my MOTs are wired in
series,  I have an 833C, and I used a 10K resistor in the feedback circuit.