From: Lau, Gary <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Sent: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 8:32 pm
Subject: RE: [TCML] Is my understanding correct?

1)  Desirable Freq, (high or Low) to give the caps an easier time

Lower frequencies are generally easier (have lower losses).

2) Prim Inductance, High or Low to get down gap losses, come to that, what
is High or low on a coil this size ? ? ?

Higher primary inductance yields lower gap losses. I'm not sure how to suggest
actual values.

3) Aspect ratio: (4 to 5:1 I know that) BUT one design (the lowest at 181)
uses a 5.5:1 -  is this ratio pushing it a bit?

This is another thing that is by no means cast in stone. 5.5:1 is by no means
extreme; I think that if it gives a higher pri inductance, go with it.

4) Can a 10K/48ma NST power a 4.5 inch coil (as opposed to the norm of a 4
inch for this NST)

Another example of things that are should not be cast in stone. I personally think that it's more important to observe an ill-defined minimum secondary size as a function of transformer VA, just so that a tiny secondary isn't swamped by sparks. I used a 4.5" dia secondary on my 4kV/20mA powered coil, and it was the
best thing I ever did for it.

There probably is a maximum secondary size for a given transformer VA rating, but it may be that the coil would be awkwardly large before that point is
reached.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA