[TCML] Building an 833C VTTC

Just to pipe in of the subjects of 833C Coils (seem to be popular all of a sudden)

I am in the slow "parts acquiring" phase of on based on the steve ward design...
Just thought that before I built it, I should make sure I have it right

So far I have:
22A 120V variac (with volt/amp meters)
1200W 2100V MOT, shunts removed, submerged in oil...
2x1.05 uf Microwave caps (I assume that is close enough to the 2uf he recomends) plus diodes, and bypass caps for the level shifter 2x 2000pf ceramic doorknob caps (TDK UHV-9AT) one for the tank, one for the grid-leak cap... 2x 5kohm 225W adjustable wirewound resistors in series for the grid leak (they are like a foot long each!)
833C tube with socket, bypass cap, etc...
6"x1.75" spun aluminum toroid
1500' 26awg magnet wire
misc fuses, switches, etc
3"id pvc pipe for secondary
6"id pvc pipe for primary
resistor, and wire for the choke
other misc wire

I have a few questions though...
can I use 23awg instead of the 24 he suggested for the feedback coil? I ask as I have 10lbs of 23awg, and no 24awg, what else would I need to change?

I have 2 EMI power filters, one is 20A rated, one 30A, not sure if useful, or needed? I can give the specs for them if that matters much.... do they even help at 400khz?

I know for spark gap coils, you need a separate rf ground, is this also true with vttc coils? can I use the mains ground for for this to be a portable coil? or is this a really bad idea? and how would this relate to steve's schematic?

Thanks...

-Rich