Re: [TCML] DIY Tank Capacitor - Plate configuration confusion

<SNIP><SNIP><SNIP>

Elated greetings to all from "Darkest Africa" :-)

I see that Brian has beaten me to it and forwarded Jeff Behary's
response to the list for which I am most grateful! I have appended a
copy of his response to the end of this post for any who might have
missed it!

Just a quick note on why I wanted to add (one or more) "floating"
plates into the capacitor when I could achieve the same by increasing
the thickness of the dialectric.......

With 2 plates; the dialectric material (of any thickness) between the
plates would need to take the full brunt of the applied voltage. In
the theoretical instance of a series stacked plate capacitor, I would
be able to use much thinner dialectric (in my case 3 layers of 0.5mil
polyethylene for a total of 1.5mils) between the plates because the
applied voltage would be SPLIT (almost equally) across the series
stacked plates. ie. Building a single capacitor stack to achieve the
same as connecting many in series with external wiring thus reducing
complexity and increasing overall reliability as a result of the
simplification. A more compact system with fewer external connections
should also have a very positive effect on the performance of the
capacitor bank as a whole.

My thanks to Brian for his initial comments and for pointing me in the
right direction! My thanks also to Gary for his input on this topic
and for pointing out that all dialectrics have a "Corona Inception
Voltage" regardless of their thickness! Very interesting indeed! My
thanks also to everyone else who took the time to comment and put
their viewpoints forward especially considering how new I am to the
list. My most grateful appreciation to you all!

Happy coiling!
Grant aka FreakyG
Randburg, South Africa

-------- Response from Jeff Behary of The Turn Of The Century