From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of jimlux
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:08 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil w/Cell Phone Trigger - Suggestions Needed!

Gabriel Ritter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to use a cell phone as a Tesla Coil trigger (when the phone
> rings, the coil discharges) and were wondering if anyone had suggestions
on
> how to integrate the cell phone with the following solid state coil:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/tom_headoflead/drsstc.html

There's a fair amount of literature out there on using a cell phone to
trigger, e.g., a improvised explosive device, that google will find.

One way that's obvious is to detect the ringing signal.  For instance,
some phones light up when an incoming call is detected. Others send the
ring sound through the headphones, where you could use a simple audio
threshold detector sort of circuit.

If you want to get fancier, there are schemes where the phone
autoanswers (some phones can do this automatically, as a sort of
quasi
PTT functionality). Then you feed the receive audio to a detector (by
hooking up to the headset jack)

There was an article recently about someone using cellphones to remote
control their house.  I don't recall where I saw it.
1:11 PM