Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:19:02 -0800
From: Jonathan Peakall <jpeakall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Heart start Philips defibrillator

I teach AED (automated external defibrillator) classes. One thing to be
clear on is that defibs DO NOT start a stopped heart. In fact, what they do
is STOP a heart that is in V-Fib. V-fib is a state where the heart is
essentially quivering. Your heart has a central electrical node which sets
the rhythm for the rest of the many nodes in your heart. You can think of it
as  the conductor in an orchestra. If the conductor gets out of whack, so do
the rest of the nodes. The know they should be firing and since they aren't
being told when to fire, they fire on their own. What the defib does is STOP
the heart, with the hope that the conductor gets it's act together and
starts a viable rhythm.

You also don't need to worry about any AED that a lay person can buy
shocking you. The new ones can detect if someone is touching the patient and
won't deliver the shock even if you press the button. In fact that is one of
the reasons that they can now be sold to the genral public. While all AEDs
can walk you through the steps of using it, and most also can give
instructions for CPR, it is still a very good idea to get training.

I'm lucky, due to being in the Fire Dept. I have one in my car. :)

Jonathan
www.madlabs.info
Some people are like a Slinky .. not really good for anything,
but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.