[TCML] NST Insulator Carbon Track

Hi All,

A couple weeks ago I mentioned depotting my NST, etc.. Well it worked for a moment and died. One side of secondary was at 0V (again). Scratched my head then once again melted out the wax and put the core on my work bench. All was good on the work bench. Put it back in the case and all was bad.. I had new 15kV GTO wire, so I knew that should be good. It had to be the insulator to case. I pulled out the insulator a few inches and tested. Sure enough, the NST was good again.

Apparently, this insulator has a carbon track. I never expected that to happen, yet it did. Just wanted to let you know this particular saga since others may experience this at some point.

BTW, if using wax for a potting compound as I do, to prevent air bubbles (and sometimes deep caverns), never pour a gallon of wax into the case. You have to layer the wax. I use 1/2" increments letting the wax harden before adding more wax. Also, never put the lid on the case when letting the wax cool (it needs to cool quickly).

I'm unfortunately getting really good at potting and depotting this particular NST.

Take care,
Bart