RE: [TCML] Questions on grounding (Now spark gap efficiency)

Dex,

Regardless of air flow or gap quenching or extinguishing the arc, the same power drawn from the outlet should remain the same.

Bryan said "I think it means that W per pulse increases while input VA remains approximately the same. It's just that you reduce the frequency a bit to give the caps a little extra time to charge.", which is correct. But when he says 'reduce the frequency' he doesn't mean the resonant frequency, but, rather, the break rate.

With a lower break rate, you get more power per pulse. For example, it takes one second to charge a one farad capacitor to one volt with a one amp power supply, while it would take two seconds to charge it to two volts. This is how we figure out the resonant capacitor size in our coils. We want a balance between maximum power throughput and highest breakrate so that the ionization channel can cause the streamers to grow and the energy from each capacitor bang can cause said channel to ionize further.

To put it straight-forward, the power drawn remains the same, while the power that can be estimated based on visual observations increases with better spark gap cooling/quenching.

Has anybody ever had a spark gap that would easily bridge when there was no air flow, but then caused so much air flow that no sparks would bridge?

Christopher