From: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [TCML] Questions on grounding (hot vs. cool gaps)
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:56:20 +0000

I would explain the difference in performance between a hot and cool gap differently.  I'm not sure that spark gap resistance differs significantly between a hot and cool gap, that would explain the performance difference.  One could easily argue that when the gap is conducting, there is nothing cool about it.

With a hot gap, one that does not have forced air flow, there are two issues that compromise performance.  Not having airflow to remove hot, ionized air from the previous bangs, the gap's breakdown voltage is reduced, and firing at a reduced voltage hurts performance.  And secondly, the more conductive gasses in the hot gap make quenching more difficult.  So rather than 1st, 2nd, or 3rd notch quenching, you might get 2nd, 3rd, or 4th notch quenching.  I'm totally pulling numbers out of the air here so don't quote me on the specifics, but it's clear that as quenching is delayed, more energy is lost in the gap and elsewhere, rather than going to the topload sparks.  So I believe that these are the underlying mechanisms that yield improved performance with cool, blown gaps.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA