RE: [TCML] single ear transformer

Sound like a cool beastie. What's the KVA rating?
Jim Mora

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Gates Larocque
Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 5:59 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [TCML] single ear transformer

This transformer was used to test rubber gloves for hydro workers It looks
like special order. Measures 14"long by 15 1/2" high by 13 1/2" wide its
square shaped 120 Vac input 60Hz and one bushing for 30 KV  output.

I will build a whole new coil to accommodate its power.

Anyone with plans for such a beast????

I tested it with my HV meter Brought it up to 20KV no load kinda scary!!!!!

Keep in mind I don't really need to run this thing full boar

Can one post a picture of it for the list to see?

Gates L
> Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 19:41:01 -0700
> From: quarkster@xxxxxxx
> Subject: RE: [TCML] single ear transformer
> To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
> CC:
>
> Gates -
>
> A few more details on this transformer, and your Tesla coil, might allow
the TCML to better understand your setup and make appropriate suggestions.

> 1. Are you trying to retrofit this transformer to an existing, operational
Tesla coil, or is this a Tesla coil that is just being assembled and is not
yet running?

> 2. Can you provide additional details on this transformer, like its output
current or KVA rating,  physical size/shape, and original application, if
known?

> 3. With a 30KV RMS output (assuming that you apply the full 120VAC input
voltage), the peak secondary voltage will be over 42,000 volts. This high a
voltage will require a pretty robust tank capacitor, and special
construction techniques throughout the tank circuit to deal with corona,
surface tracking, arc-over, etc. Not many Tesla coils operate successfully
with this high a voltage in the tank circuit. What type of spark gap will be
used in this setup?