From: Phil Tuck (hvtesla) <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sat, Aug 8, 2009 2:47 pm
Subject: [TCML] SRSG Rotor Mods difficulty

Hello.

Having successfully machined a 1500rpm motor in the past, I now wish to do
a (UK 50Hz 240v) 3000rpm one for my SRSG.

Previously, with the 1500rpm and based on advice from this group, I measured the rotor diameter and used one quarter of the measurement as the width of
the machined flat. Like  this:
http://www.hvtesla.com/images/tesla%20coil%20modding_motor.jpg

Yesterday I machined a 3000rpm bench grinder using the 0.25 formula and the motor just hunted afterwards without reaching a constant speed. Increasing the input to 270v did not help either. This motor was poor quality anyway so
has now been discarded for other uses.

I have since been advised however that the 3000rpm motors do not respond so
well to machining as the 1500rpm, and may need more material removed.

Unfortunately I am never able to correctly identify the 'dead' pole as
illustrated at http://evolve000.4hv.org/tesla/tc2srsg.html My motors always
seem to differ to this.

I have now acquired a second 3000rpm motor (bench grinder) which is my last attempt for a while. This rotor is 2.128 inches diameter, the motor itself
being rated at 250Watts (1/5 HP maybe??)