Re: [TCML] quiet spark gap for my DIY coil?

You can get significantly quieter operation by going from a single bolt gap to a multiple copper-pipe gap. If I was going to go all-out on it, I would make this one: http://www.kronjaeger.com/hv-old/misc/scotsgap/index.html

However, the copper pipe spark-gap I'm using right now is just 6 sections in a row, epoxied to a piece of ceramic tile. I make the connections with alligator clips. It works great for proof-of-concept, but for a permanent coil, I would use build the one above. I really like its adjustability. It's not easy to adjust epoxy ;-)

Dan K.

Jon Iverson wrote:
I recently finished construction and testing of a basic 75- 100 KV Tesla coil. All went fine except the spark gap, which is simply a couple of stove bolts, is exceptionally loud and I'd like to find a way to quiet it. I want to keep this simple if possible. Can anyone recommend a cheap, proven way to quiet this spark gap?

Thanks in advance,
Jon