Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 7:39 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] New Geek Group Video - How to Wire A Tesla Coil

DOH!
You guys are totally right (this is why I like peer review). The gap doesn't
do a thing for tuning at all. I was just going through all of the basic
major variables in a coil setup and lumped that in with the rest. I totally
borked it. Thankfully, it's a easy video to reshoot.

I am surprised that nobody noticed it took me over 40 seconds to draw the
schematic...the exact count is in the credits as an Easter egg.

I shall re-shoot the video and a new version will post within a week. Thank
you for the critique.

Btw, the "I've built more coils than most" was not intended to start a
pissing contest (my ego is fine, thank you). It was meant to hush the 200
people who email me having just read an article on coiling and half-built
some contraption to channel free energy from the planet goatbreath to power their perpetual-motion machine. Understand that the people on this list are
(as a rule) the most elite coilers on Earth. Most of the *very* beginners
(and the overwhelming majority of people who have a 2 week passing fancy
with coils) never even get as far as the TCML.

Though, I would reasonably imagine (and by all means correct me if I'm
wrong) that most people who get into coiling build, over their lives, less
than a half dozen finished coils in total. A nontrivial number may build a
dozen total.

My numbers are a bit inflated given I build them with students for projects
;)

I believe, with the exceptions of the Big Dog coilers (the other guys who
work with this stuff every day as part of their job like TTR, LOD, etc) that
I would have to be in the top 5 or 6 (by volume) coilerbuilders in the
world.

There simply aren't that many people who DO this stuff in large numbers, but
I'm hoping to get us a few hundred more every year by helping kids (of all
ages) learn the basics and build their first coil. My goal isn't to get rich doing this (I don't think there's any danger of that happening). My goal is
to introduce a new generation to the wonders of science and technology, to
make it fun and exciting without dumbing it down and treating them like
idiots.

Anyone who's interested in being a part of that, in teaching classes, making
videos, etc, is welcome to join us.
Come and be a member. :)

www.thegeekgroup.org

and to the guy who remarked on my hair, don't hate me because I'm pretty ;) I wear a Mohawk because it's super low maintenance, cool in the summer, lets
me ride my motorcycle to work and not have to screw with my hair to be on
camera, and most importantly

the women *really* dig it.

Chris "don't hate me because I'm beautiful" Boden