From: Quarkster <quarkster@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 10:21:45 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tuning, Capacitors, and Spark Gaps

Joel -

Before delving into a detailed troubleshooting process, please provide some additional information on your coil.

Did you use a Tesla coil design program to determine all the electrical & mechanical parameters? If so, please post the output file, showing ALL the parameters for ALL the components. This will allow List members to perform a quick "design review" and look for any obvious design problems.

You mentioned that your tank capacitor is made from a large number of microwave oven capacitors. This may be a problem, because they probably will not be capable of withstanding the peak current seen in a Tesla coil tank circuit.

Also, you stated that your target tank capacitor value is .0088uF, for a 9kv/30ma NST. This capacitor value yields a resonant condition with this particular NST, which can cause extremely high voltage conditions that can instantly destroy either (or both) your NST and your tank capacitor. What you want for a static-gap system is a "larger than resonant" (LTR) capacitor value, typically 1.3 - 1.5X the resonant value.

A few additional questions on your capacitor array:

1. Are all 80 of the capacitors connected in a single series string?
2. Are all the capacitors the same capacitance value?
   a)  If so, please provide the value.
   b) If there are various values, please list the values, and how many capacitors of each value are used.

Unless your capacitors all have a value of  0.7uF, I don't see how you achieved your .088uF target value.

Regards,
Herr Zapp

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joel Torgeson" <joeltorgeson@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 22, 2009 3:19 PM