Re: [TCML] A Question about Solid State Drivers

For fast modulation techniques, you are better off using "high-side" gate
driving techniques rather than a GDT.  For a high-side gate driver you need
1) an isolated power supply for the gate driver and 2) a method to provide
an isolated signal to the driver.  For #1 i often use small transformers and
a simple rectifier/capacitor and a linear regulator to derive 15V and 5V
power, for example.  Each high-side switch needs its own isolated
power/signal.  For #2 i found a chip by TI, part number ISO721 or ISO722 (i
cant recall which one).  Its a 5V level ultra-fast digital isolator.

The problem with using transformers to couple PWM'd signals is that they
like to ring a little bit during the dead band.  Also, depending on the PWM
technique used, you might lose the DC bias you were relying on for proper
gate drive.  What i mean is, the drive wave-form must be symmetric in order
to maintain the volt-seconds at 0 per cycle.  If the average volt-seconds
are not zero, then the waveform will first begin to climb up or down (to
balance the V-s) and then likely saturate as the condition persists.  If you
use a complementary PWM drive scheme to the transformer, it will be fine.

Anyway, since you are switching at 200khz, you should use more turns on the
transformer, like 10-15 (generally speaking, without really knowing what
core you have).

Either approach (high-side drive, or GDT) should work for you, its a design
decision you will have to make.  The GDT is generally simpler.

I dont know that i would use a PIC so intimately integrated with a SSTC.
Ive used PICs and AVRs in tesla projects, but usually safely shielded in a
metal box.  You may want to use some high speed isolators (like the ISO ones
i mentioned) or even better, high speed opto-couplers, between the PIC and
the rest of the SSTC electronics.  Use separate power supplies for the PIC
so you can keep it clean.  An aluminum box would be a good idea too.

Steve