Re: [TCML] Re:Pros and cons

 Large SGTC:

 http://www.lightninglab.org/gallery/2008Teslathon/images/120L02.jpg

I was quite amazed when Greg Leyh (who designed it) told me it could
put out 25 ft long discharges during outdoor 25 kW /350 BPS operation.
Since the coil is  DC charger powered ,the bang size from bang to bang
is constant and is somewhere between 70 and 75 Joules (only).
As can be seen this is a big coil which probably has something like
140...150pF secondary effective capacity.With 100% efficiency and no loss
peak secondary voltage would be aprox 1 MV.Some Dr.Resonance's resarches
indicate that in reality most sparking SGTCs peak at about 65%-75% of
their max possible voltage without loss.
Therefore,max voltage for this coil is about 650..750 kV.
Greg also said the best BPS rates given input power are somewhere between
100 and 350 BPS (what you with your 250 PPS DRSSTC observation confirmed).
I suppose he has experimentally reserched such things in a great detail.
So,the questions like how good this coil would perform at say 1200 BPS
and fixed bang size of 75 Joules are quite interesting.
I wouldn't bet the arcs would be much longer.
They would be  thicker and bushier instead I think.
Too low output voltage and bang size despite great  power input.
Do you (dis)agree?

Dex