Re: [TCML] Is It Polyethylene?

Ok this is difficult from at least 3000 miles away

I am an Analytical Chemist ( well was ) In the 80's I used to have to check incoming materieals for the big automotic electrical company Joseph Lucas ( UK)

So here is how you do a quick test to establish the different types of plastic materials
I think it is called the Bilstein test ( but I may have mis-remembered)
You burn the plastic - blow out the flame - and sniff the fumes
It needs a trained nose to tell the difference but we tested both plastics and rubbers by this method - and passed or failed the delivery on the result Most of the plastics have a distinct melting point range but with out a Differential Calorimeter its not easy to determine the melt point -
polyethylene is one of the lowest melting point plastics

Take a polythene carrier ( out) bag, a clearish bag some components came in or some thing you now is polyethylene and do the test Polyethylene with maintain a flame. As it burns it will go quite transparent in front of the advancing flame

   Do the burning test on your unknown sample and compare

I would be most surprised if the builders membrane is anything other than polyethylene

Just for in formation  the flexible membrane is unlikely to be any of these

Styrene has a very distinct smell - try a clear ( BIC) biro case - it does not readliy support a flame and gives of black smoke

Nylon has two common varieties : Nylon and Nylon 66 both have the same smell but if I remember correctly single polymer Nylon does support a flame but the co ploymer 66 does not

ABS has the styrene smell but is much harder to break than pure styrene

I remember another hard plastic with a very distinct smell - very woody - I hope some one will remember what that was for me - OK I ave gone off to the land of old men now
Hope this helps