Re: [TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

Hi DC, all,

----- Original Message ----- From: "DC Cox" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 8:32 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Spark gaps, Solid state switches and diodes

I think the disruptive part refers to the primary side of the coil, ie, it
has a spark gap.  A condensor discharge thru a spark gap is irregular in
nature as opposed to an alternator that
makes a near perfect smooth sinusoidal wave form.

Yes, I would agree with this take on it too. I also recall one
of the terms for a non-disruptive output, such as the
"near perfect sinusoidal wave form" from an alternator or
a VTTC, was "continuous wave" (CW).

Tesla realized a
discharging condensor would allow him to use higher potentials and achieve
greater multiplication factor thru his
newly developed air core cores.  His first experiments were strictly with
high frequency alternators, and he then switched to capacitor - sparkgap
type systems for this reason.

A solid state coil, with it's precision controlled switching would not be
"disruptive" whereas an open spark type like Tesla used would be considered
"disruptive".  Lord Kelvin originally described the
spark discharge from a condensor as "disruptive".

Just my take on this.

Dr. Resonance

David Rieben