Re: [TCML] Bi-Polar TC

The biggest error experimenters make with bipolars is to make the coeff. of
coupling too tight which promotes tracking sparks, commonly called racing
sparks.

With a 4" dia. sec coil, the usual distance above horizontal plane of the
pri for base of sec is 1.5 inches, which means the two secondary windings
have to be separated by approx 3 inches --- with the pri a flat Archemedian
spiral.  Failure to move each sec outward far enough to set the k value
to a reasonable amount (usually 0.1 to 0.14) severely reduces the max sec
output spark.

Dr. Resonance