Re: [TCML] VFD motor

VFD’s  are cool in that they convert 3 phase AC to a DC voltage that is
reprocessed to  variable frequency for speed control of AC motors. This of course
is hurting  manufacturers of DC Drives. Earlier versions of VFD’s would only
control  typically about 10 cycles. As micro processors became more available
designs of  VFD’s  began improving until they  became the choice of industry
over DC Drives.
It was  while I was attending a training session for VFD’s that I discovered
that  disconnecting one of the incoming phases the drive would continue to
operate,  with the loss of phase alarm on. Talking with the instructor, the alarm
was  disabled and the unit continued operating the motor.
It  wasn’t long after that I was working on a project that needed a 35 HP
motor and  only single phase available. Of course the power company would be
happy to run a  3 phase line (I think they had in mind an open V but charging for
all three  phases. RotoPhase was not available for something that large so I
contacted the  instructor (He was also a factory Rep) and told him what I
needed. He showed up,  we worked it out. We use existing single phase feed from the
power company. The  existing service was a 120/240 Volt 200 amp service.
Setting the frequency drive  for soft start we were in business. This installation
has been in operation for  about 16 years give or take.
Al  Shumate

In a message dated 1/16/2009 5:45:26 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,