Re: [TCML] NST Measurements

Hi Jeremy!
We are all rookies, regardless of experience. The guy who thinks otherwise, well, pull up a lawn chair, crack open a beer, and enjoy the show.

I don't recommend traveling down the rectification road:
1) You can't rectify the input because voltage transformation requires dv/dt (dc won't transform). 2) You "can" rectify the output, but you can't measure short circuit current unless shorting out the diodes (cumbersome). 3) Open circuit current could be measured with a bit of math to remove the diodes.

It's better to use an AC amp meter for a transformer. But this is not really necessary for getting a coil up and running. More like "inquiring minds want to know" things.

Take care,
Bart

Jeremy wrote:
Forgive me as I'm quite the rookie, but my multi-meter measures amperage in DC, thus would I have to rectify the NST output before measurement, and would a 800V 4A bridge rectifier be able to do the job if needed(or will it fry)? and what value would I obtain? The RMS current? I am, at the moment, quite confused as to whether the NST output is of sinusoidal waveform or of a sine squared output, since the secondary is centrally earthed.