Re: [TCML] NST Measurements

Hi Phil,

I don't think so. I checked input voltages up to 17kV, and still it's way off. It's not the winding resistance, but the linearity of the voltage ratio that is not allowing the turns ratio to be identified. With a nice normal power transformer with good regulation characteristics, we could easily use the voltage ratio to compute the turns ratio as the losses are low. But I think with these NST's (or any shunted transformer), the extremely poor regulation due to the magnetic shunts affects the voltage ratio, and thus, the turns ratio is unknown. The question I think is how can we determine the turns ratio if the voltage ratio is so darn non-linear?

I have no doubt that the shunt affects on inductance is the cause. How to get around it is not so easy to figure out.

Bart

FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx wrote:
Folks-
Any chance that the problem with loading the secondary of an NST with only 120V is the huge DC resistance of the secondary windings? In the transformer "model", that's a big series resistance that causes a big voltage drop. At 15,000 V no big deal, but at 120V pretty significant resistive losses. It's apparently common practice to add more turns to a high-resistance winding to account for the voltage drop. Often a cut-and try approach to transformer design. As D.C. Cox had pointed out to me years ago, the turns ratio is pretty far off from "ideal" in an NST. -Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities