From: jimlux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:38 am
Subject: Re: [TCML] NST Measurements

Lau, Gary wrote:?
> Maybe the question I really want to ask is - under what conditions?
> will a 15/30 NST deliver 15kV AND 30mA? Is that even possible? ?
Nope.. at least not into a resistive load.?
?
?I?
?
> You mention that "30mA would drop the voltage very low ". If that's?
> true, then we should never be able to draw anything close to the?
> faceplate-rated power from an NST. Have you measured this? Or does?
> the faceplate VA rating reflect just what is being pulled from the?
> wall, with much or most of that being dissipated as I2R losses in the?
> core??
?
The NST is, for all intents and purposes, a 15kV power supply in series with a BIG inductor (roughly 500kohm reactance at line frequency).?
?
if you have a zero ohm load (short the output) you get 30mA at zero volts.?
If you have a infinite load (open circuit) you get 15kV at 0 mA.?
If you have a 500kOhm resistive load, you'll get (off the top of my head, 0.7*15kV, at some current 15/(500+j500) (21mA?)?
?
That's why it's a VA rating and not a Watt rating.?
?